December 12th, 2019 – 2019 has been a great year for the Nerds, and we’re ending on a high note*; we’re adding a great award from the people who know the Philly tech scene best.
Technical.ly Philly just announced that we’re the 2019 Startup of the Year. Competing against some other great startups in the region, Technical.ly and the greater Philadelphia community selected Nerd Street Gamers as a rising star in the technology scene right in our own backyard.
How good was our year? Let’s see, in 2019 we:
- Raised $12 million in a Series A financing round led by our friends at Five Below. Together, we’ll be opening Localhost venues attached to numerous Five Below stores across the country.
- Produced a 10-episode feature that showcased the Philadelphia gaming scene
- Teamed up with incredible partners including MIKE & IKES, DreamSeat, Linode, Kellogg’s, Aim Lab, US Army, and We Are Nations
- Partnered with Rowan University to develop an esports program that includes a broadcast studio, esports curriculum, and varsity and club teams.
- Opened brand new Localhosts including Localhost Huntington Beach and Localhost Wells Fargo Center, the first public dedicated esports space in a pro stadium
“Philadelphia has always been part of our identity,” said John Fazio, CEO at Nerd Street Gamers. “The grit, the work-hard mentality, and the passion to build something incredible in this city has gotten Nerd Street Gamers where we are today. We are proud to be recognized as Startup of the Year from Technical.ly, and we want to thank all of our employees, partners, and investors. All of them have kept their foot on the gas pedal and supported our vision of accessibility, integrity, and opportunity in esports. This is just the beginning. We have no plans of slowing down in 2020.”
Stay tuned for more!
*The year isn’t over, and we’re full of surprises, so don’t take this literally. We may have some more stuff to announce before 2020.